CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
The MUI Group recognises its duty as a responsible corporate citizen. We are firmly committed to the principles and practice of corporate social responsibility (CSR). Our CSR initiatives are rooted in the universal belief that every organisation owes a duty to act responsibly for the good of its employees, customers, shareholders, the communities in which it operates, the environment and society at large. The Group's CSR involvement is summarised under the following broad headings:
The Group believes in sharing its success with the community. In addition to ensuring that its products and services meet the high standards of quality, safety and value, the Group, through its various businesses, actively supports various charity projects, healthcare and education institutions, and community events. For over a decade now, the Group has offered patronage , and support to the Selangor Philharmonic Society, and help promote local performing arts.
The Group strives to provide a safe, healthy and fair workplace environment. Its management ensures that good practices are observed in occupational safety of the workplace. Every business assigned a senior staff member to head the OSHA committee which meets periodically to review workplace practices relating to occupational safety, hygiene, sanitation, first aid and fire safety.
One of the underlying principles of the Group's business philosophy is its sense of fair play in business practices. Ethical engagement with the marketplace is something the Group takes seriously. In this regard, the Group strives to deliver products and services that meet the criteria of value, safety, quality, and satisfaction to its customers and clients. The Group offers quality products and services to its customers, while, at the same time, ensuring ethical sourcing to promote human rights. Its businesses constantly engage with external stakeholders to understand customer and market feedbacks.
The Group recognises the importance of environmental protection and preservation in all its business operations. Its businesses support efforts that promote a cleaner and healthier environment in their day-to-day activities. Procedures that ensure sound environmental practices are encouraged in its hotels, retail outlets, and manufacturing plant. In its township development, homes are developed with generous provisions of landscaped spaces and social infrastructure.
CSR HIGHLIGHTS DURING THE LAST FINANCIAL YEAR
- Sponsorship of RMl00,000 for the 8th World Chinese Economic Summit held from 16 November to 17 November 2016.
- Support for the cultural and charitable activities organised by the Philharmonic Society of Selangor from 10 December to 11 December 2016.
- West Synergy donated to Rumah Orang Tua Chok Lam, Pertubuhan Kebajikan Ihsan Kehidupan Baru, Persatuan Kebajikan Kanak-Kanak Rhema and to deserving students for their curriculum fees at SMK Yam Tuan Radin, Negeri Sembilan.
- Corus Paradise Hotel Port Dickson organised the groceries giveaway event for New Life Care Centre, an orphanage on 28 February 2017 which houses 45 underprivileged children in Port Dickson. Corus PD employees also participated in a "gotong-royong" event held by Majlis Perbandaran Port Dickson to trim and clear trees that blocked and affected the road along Port Dickson from 13 March to 14 March 2017. Corus PD organised a blood donation campaign on 23 May 2017.
- Corus Hotel Kuala Lumpur offered a lunch at the hotel and provided useful items such as face towels and travelling bags for children and elderly from Rumah Charis, Puchong in October 2016. In addition, Corus KL invited children and caretakers from welfare home Rumah Amal Al-Barakh for Majlis Berbuka Puasa celebration in May 2017.
- Network Foods (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd employees visited several welfare homes which house underprivileged children in Selangor, including House of Joy, Pusat Jagaan Kanak-Kanak Cacat Taman Megah, Agathians Shelter, Rumah Victory Kanak-Kanak, and Shelter Home.
- Metrojaya Berhad to donated to the National Cancer Society Malaysia in November 2016, and supported the Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign in November 2016.
- Laura Ashley Holdings plc donated around £152,000 to various charitable organisations including New Life and Breast Cancer Now.